Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
About the Program
WIC, Women, Infants, and Children, is a nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well, learn about good nutrition and stay healthy.
- Checks that can be used to purchase healthy foods such as milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, dry beans and peas, or peanut butter
- Information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
- Support and information about breastfeeding your baby
- Help in finding health care and other community services
- Breast pumps to help support breastfeeding mothers
People eligible for WIC are:
WIC is for all kinds of families: married & single parents, working or not working. If you are a father, mother, grandparent, foster parent or other legal guardian of a child under 5 years of age, you can apply for your child.
You can participate in WIC if you:
- Live in Alaska
- Have a nutritional need (WIC staff can help determine this)
- Are pregnant
- Are breastfeeding a baby under 12 months old
- Just delivered a baby under 6 months old
- Have an infant or child under 5 (including foster children)
- Have a family income meeting WIC Income Eligibility Guidelines.
How do I apply?
If you live in Nome, come in to the WIC office at the Norton Sound Regional Hospital. The office is located on Level One on the East end across from Fast Track. Office hours are 8:00AM to 5:00PM Monday through Friday.
If you live in a village in the Norton Sound Region, you can apply for WIC through your village health clinic.
What do I bring to a WIC appointment?
- ID for yourself and each child
- Proof you are an Alaska resident, such as your driver’s license, voter registration, library card, any bill with your address on it, rent or mortgage receipt
- Proof of income such as paycheck stubs or a W2 Form, proof that you get Food Stamps, Medicaid, Denali Kid Care or free or reduced price School Lunch
- Proof of pregnancy if pregnant
- Bring any children you are applying for
- Completed application forms (if you filled them out before your appointment)
Pregnant Woman Forms
For more information or to contact the WIC department:
Women, Infants and Children Department
PH: (907) 443-3299
FAX: (907) 443-9723