A harmful algae bloom was found this summer in clams 70 miles north of St. Lawrence Island and 50 miles north of Cape Lisburne. This algae had high concentrations of a toxin that is unsafe for human consumption.
Consuming shellfish, and possibly marine mammals that have ingested this algae can cause Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP). You cannot see, smell, or taste the toxins, and cooking or freezing will not lessen the effects.
If you feel sick after eating seafood, contact your health provider immediately.
To read a full report concerning this discovery click here.