FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nome, Alaska – Norton Sound Health Corporation identified 13 positive COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, September 28. Of the new cases, nine are in Nome, two are in Koyuk, and two are in Gambell. One person who tested positive is an NSHC employee. Patients have been notified and are safely isolating.
There are currently 82 active cases in the region: 33 are in Koyuk, 30 are in Nome, 11 are in Shaktoolik, three are in St. Michael, two are in Brevig Mission, two are in Gambell, and one is in Unalakleet. NSHC is working closely with the leadership from all involved villages and is sending additional help and supplies as needed.
Alaska currently has the highest rate of new COVID-19 cases per capita in the country, with five times more cases per 100,000 people than the national average. Residents of the Norton Sound / Bering Strait Region should be conscious of this when they travel outside of western Alaska onto the road system. You can do your part to stop the spread by:
- Getting vaccinated if you are not already
- Getting a booster if you are eligible (anyone who has received a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine so long as it has been six months after their last dose)
- Always wearing masks in public buildings
- Washing your hands and social distancing
- Keeping your bubble small
- Getting tested immediately following travel
- Staying home if you are sick
In Nome, COVID-19 vaccinations are available at the following places and times:
- NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at www.picktime.com/NSHC.
- Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
Testing for COVID-19 is open daily for asymptomatic people from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Nome Operations Building, located at the corner of Greg Kruschek Avenue and K Street. The Testing Center is open during the lunch hour, but staffing is limited. Please visit www.picktime.com/NSHC to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins are also welcome.
The Cough and Cold Clinic is available for testing every day for symptomatic patients. It is located on the first floor of the hospital and is open from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-10 p.m. on weekends. You can call the direct line to the clinic at (907) 443-3231.
In the region’s villages, please call your local clinic to get tested or vaccinated.