FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 15, 2021
Contact: Alexis Erikson, Public Relations Specialist
Phone: (907) 443-8918
Six COVID-19 Cases Identified in Three Villages
Nome, Alaska – On Tuesday, September 14, Norton Sound Health Corporation identified four COVID-19 cases in Shaktoolik, one in Unalakleet, and one in Brevig. The patients have been notified and are safely isolating.
NSHC would like to emphasize the importance of following the recommended quarantine and isolation guidelines when individuals are identified as close contacts or as COVID-19 positive. Quarantining individuals should keep their distance from all others for 14 days since their last contact with an infectious person. Individuals in isolation must keep their distance until they are considered recovered, which is 10 days since the onset of symptoms or from the date of their positive test. These guidelines account for all individuals’ potentially contagious timeframes and ensure the virus won’t be allowed to spread further.
If you are not yet vaccinated against COVID-19 or are experiencing any symptoms such as a runny nose, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, cough, fever, body aches, or headaches, call your local clinic to get tested or vaccinated as soon as possible.
In Nome, vaccinations are available at the following places and times:
• Wellness Bus at Day Shelter Entrance: vaccines are available every Tuesday from 9:30 – 10 a.m.
• Nome NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at www.picktime.com/NSHC.
• Nome Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
• Nome Post Office: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available every Wednesday from 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Wellness Bus at AC: vaccines are available every Wednesday from 8:30 – 11 a.m.
There are currently 38 active cases in the region: 13 cases are in Unalakleet, 12 are in Shaktoolik, five are in Koyuk, three are in Nome, two are in Savoonga, two are in Brevig, and one is in Teller. Village leadership in all communities have been notified.