FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 31, 2021
Contact: Reba Lean, Public Relations Manager
Nome, Alaska – Norton Sound Health Corporation identified two positive cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, March 30. The first case involves a regional resident and is believed to be travel-related. The second case was found in a Nome resident, who is a close contact to a previously identified case. Both patients are now safely isolating.
The region currently has six active cases of COVID-19.
On Monday, March 29, NSHC announced the region had reached a vaccination rate of 53% of the entire population. NSHC is aiming for a goal of herd immunity at 70-80% vaccinated, so that things may safely reopen and return to normal. While the region has been noted as having one of the top COVID-19 vaccination rates in the country, there is still a ways to go.
There is some incentive to be vaccinated for COVID-19 besides the public health benefits. If you are fully vaccinated, you will not be required to quarantine if you become a close contact to a COVID-positive individual. If fully vaccinated, you may not be required to quarantine after traveling, depending on your community’s travel restrictions. And the most recent vaccination incentive is that Bering Air no longer requires proof of a negative test result before flying from fully vaccinated individuals, which may make your travel plans smoother.
Additionally, there is still one day left to enter NSHC’s COVID-19 Vaccination Drawing. Any regional resident who has received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine is eligible to enter the drawing. To do so, entrants must complete a short questionnaire in one of the following ways:
- Fill out the online form at https://bit.ly/3tpzQKa
- Text VACCINE to 833-413-0568
- Pick up a copy at your local clinic and ask a staff member to scan and send it to
The questionnaire must be completed by March 31, 2021. The drawing will take place on April 1, and prizes include:
- 1st Grand Prize: Four round-trip tickets anywhere in the U.S. on Alaska Airlines and $3,000 cash
- 2nd Grand Prize: $8,000 (+ shipping cost) toward four wheeler/ATV of choice purchased in region
- $500 toward groceries at local store – 16 prizes (one in each community)
- $500 fuel voucher – 16 prizes (one in each community)
- 10% of survey respondents will receive $100 – drawn weekly
The region has shown great strength and endurance over the last 12 months in fighting this pandemic. It is important to not lose sight of the goal to keep the region safe and reach herd immunity.