FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 23, 2021
Contact: Alexis Erikson, Public Relations Specialist
Phone: (907) 443-8918
U.S. Gives Full Approval for Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine
Nome, Alaska – On Monday, August 23, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration fully approved the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for those aged 16 and older. It is still under emergency authorization for children aged 12 to 15 and for the administration of a third dose in certain immunocompromised individuals.
“The public can now be very confident that this vaccine meets the highest standards for safety, effectiveness, and manufacturing quality the FDA requires of an approved vaccine,” said Dr. Mark Peterson, medical director of Norton Sound Health Corporation.
“The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is now in the same category as any other commonly used vaccine for children and adults. For those who were waiting for this final, full approval before getting their COVID-19 shot, they can now get the shot, knowing it’s safe and fully approved.”
In a statement, the FDA said the milestone puts the U.S. one step closer to altering the course of this pandemic. The FDA hopes that the full approval will increase public confidence in the vaccine as the extremely contagious delta variant surges around the world.
Moderna has also applied to the FDA for full approval of its COVID-19 vaccine. Johnson & Johnson said it hopes to apply for full approval for its vaccine later this year.
In a village, residents may contact their local clinic to arrange a COVID-19 vaccination, including the Pfizer vaccine specifically. In Nome, vaccinations are available at the following times and places:
• Wellness Bus at Day Shelter Entrance: vaccines are available every Tuesday from 9:30 – 10 a.m.
• Nome NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at picktime.com/NSHC.
• Nome Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
• Nome Post Office: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available every Wednesday from 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Wellness Bus at AC: vaccines are available every Wednesday from 8:30 – 11 a.m.