Norton Sound Health Corporation welcomes researchers looking to improve the lives of the people of the Bering Strait/Norton Sound region. The NSHC Research Ethics and Review (RERB) Board is available to review research projects in the region. The RERB tentatively meets twice a year. Please contact the RERB Staff Liaison for further information or to add your project to the RERB presentation schedule.
If you are submitting a research project from outside the state of Alaska, you must obtain Alaska Area IRB approval before NSHC RERB review.
The Norton Sound Health Corporation has been involved in a number of research activities throughout the years. On this page you will find information about those activities and the results of some projects.
- HEALTHH Newsletters
- 2018-CCT HEALTHH Protocol Paper
- 2020-IJCH HEALTHH Recruitment
- 2020-TID HEALTHH Dual Use
Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease in Alaska Natives (GOCADAN) Study Publications:
- C-Reactive Protein, Insulin Resistance, and Metabolic Syndrome in a Population With a High Burden of Subclinical Infection (December 2008)
- Genetic variation in APOJ, LPL, and TNFRSF10B affects plasma fatty acid distribution in Alaskan Eskimos (2010)
- Variants in CPT1A, FADS1, and FADS2 are associated with higher levels of estimated plasma and erythrocyte delta-5 desaturases in Alaskan Eskimos (June 2012)
- Heart rate is associated with markers of fatty acid desaturation: the GOCADAN study (2012)
- Albuminuria among Alaska Natives – Findings from the Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease in Alaska Natives (GOCADAN) Study (July 2009)
- Heart Rate is Associated with Red Blood Cell Fatty Acid Concentration: the GOCADAN Study (June 2011)
- Uric Acid, Hypertension, and CKD among Alaska Eskimos – the Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease in Alaska Natives (GOCADAN) Study (February 2012)
- Individual saturated fatty acids are associated with different components of insulin resistance and glucose metabolism: the GOCADAN study (September 2010)
- A QTL for genotype by sex interaction for anthropometric measurements in Alaskan Eskimos (GOCADAN study) on chromosome 19q12-13 (September 2011)
- Cardiovascular Disease Among Alaska Native Peoples (December 2013)
- Statistical genetic analysis of serological measures of common, chronic infections in Alaska Native participants in the GOCADAN study (November 2013)
- Sex-specific associations of nutrition with hypertension and systolic blood pressure in Alaska Natives findings from the GOCADAN study (June 2011)
- Relation Among Lipoprotein Subfractions and Carotid Atherosclerosis in Alaskan Eskimos (From the GOCADAN study) (December 2009)