Norton Sound Health Corporation welcomes researchers looking to improve the lives of the people of the Bering Strait/Norton Sound region. The NSHC Research Ethics and Review (RERB) Board is available to review research projects in the region. The RERB tentatively meets twice a year. Please contact the RERB Staff Liaison for further information or to add your project to the RERB presentation schedule.
For research proposals, please contact the NSHC Compliance Officer at (907) 443-3360 or at gro.p1534540561rochs1534540561n@ecn1534540561ailpm1534540561oc1534540561.
If you are submitting a research project from outside the state of Alaska, you must obtain Alaska Area IRB approval before NSHC RERB review.
The Norton Sound Health Corporation has been involved in a number of research activities throughout the years. On this page you will find information about those activities and the results of some projects.
Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease in Alaska Natives (GOCADAN) Study Publications:
- C-Reactive Protein, Insulin Resistance, and Metabolic Syndrome in a Population With a High Burden of Subclinical Infection (December 2008)
- Genetic variation in APOJ, LPL, and TNFRSF10B affects plasma fatty acid distribution in Alaskan Eskimos (2010)
- Variants in CPT1A, FADS1, and FADS2 are associated with higher levels of estimated plasma and erythrocyte delta-5 desaturases in Alaskan Eskimos (June 2012)
- Heart rate is associated with markers of fatty acid desaturation: the GOCADAN study (2012)
- Albuminuria among Alaska Natives – Findings from the Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease in Alaska Natives (GOCADAN) Study (July 2009)
- Heart Rate is Associated with Red Blood Cell Fatty Acid Concentration: the GOCADAN Study (June 2011)
- Uric Acid, Hypertension, and CKD among Alaska Eskimos – the Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease in Alaska Natives (GOCADAN) Study (February 2012)
- Individual saturated fatty acids are associated with different components of insulin resistance and glucose metabolism: the GOCADAN study (September 2010)
- A QTL for genotype by sex interaction for anthropometric measurements in Alaskan Eskimos (GOCADAN study) on chromosome 19q12-13 (September 2011)
- Cardiovascular Disease Among Alaska Native Peoples (December 2013)
- Statistical genetic analysis of serological measures of common, chronic infections in Alaska Native participants in the GOCADAN study (November 2013)
- Sex-specific associations of nutrition with hypertension and systolic blood pressure in Alaska Natives findings from the GOCADAN study (June 2011)
- Relation Among Lipoprotein Subfractions and Carotid Atherosclerosis in Alaskan Eskimos (From the GOCADAN study) (December 2009)