Open through March 31, 2021
About the Program
WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) is a nutrition program that helps families eat well, provides nutrition education, and empowers families to maintain healthy habits for life. WIC is for all kinds of families: parents or caregivers, married or single, working or not working. If you are pregnant, recently had a baby, or a father, mother, grandparent, foster parent or other legal guardian of a child under 5 years of age, you can apply for your WIC.
- An EBT card that can be used to purchase healthy foods such as milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, beans, and peanut butter.
- Mailed out benefits to participants in villages with no WIC participating vendors (at this time these villages include: Golovin, Savoonga, and Little Diomede).
- Health and nutrition education to support you and your family to eat well and maintain healthy behaviors for life.
- Breastfeeding support and resources including breast pumps for qualified breastfeeding families.
- Referrals for other community services.
Who can Participate?
You can participate in WIC if you:
- Live in Alaska
- Meet income eligibility guidelines
- Have a nutritional need
- Meet any of the following categorical eligibility requirements:
- You are pregnant,
- Breastfeeding a baby under 12 months old,
- Delivered a baby or were pregnant within the last 6 months (Note: if your pregnancy did not result in a live birth for any reason within the last 6 months, you are still eligible to receive all post-partum WIC benefits) ,
- Have an infant or child under 5 years old,
- Or are currently fostering a child under 5 years old.
How do I apply?
NOTE: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, families can apply for WIC from home without needing to come to the WIC office or scheduling an appointment at the village clinic. Submit the electronic forms on this website by email to . WIC does accept pictures of completed applications. Please ensure you complete all of the appropriate forms for your household.
1. All households applying are required to submit one Family Information Form
2. Complete the appropriate application for each woman or child you are applying for.
- Child Application
- Infant Application
- Pregnant Women Application
- Breastfeeding/Postpartum Women Application
3. If the person you are applying for is a village resident and tribal member, please complete the WIC Alaska Native/American Indian Income Certificate Form to waive the requirement for income verification.
All Medicaid/Denali Kid Care, ATAP, and Food Stamp recipients are prequalified to receive WIC.
Once all of the appropriate forms are received by the WIC office, processing time will be between 10 and 20 days depending on priority of need. If you have submitted an application and have not heard from WIC staff within this amount of time, please contact the WIC office at 443-3299.
At this time, the Nome WIC office continues to provide in person services for those who wish to apply face-to-face. Village residents may call their local clinic or the Nome WIC office for more information on how to apply.
What do I bring to a WIC Appointment?
Please note, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, WIC appointments are not required at this time. All WIC services can be performed remotely, however you may be required to submit documentation of the below items if WIC staff request them.
- Proof you are an Alaska resident, such as your driver’s license, voter registration, library card, any bill with your address on it, rent or mortgage receipt, or Medicaid/DKC card. Staff can also assist you in verifying your Alaska residency if you are an active Medicaid/DKC recipient in Alaska.
- Proof of income such as paycheck stubs or a W2 Form. Please note that all Medicaid/DKC, Food Stamps, and Free or Reduced Price School Lunch recipients are prequalified to receive WIC (staff can verify your active Medicaid membership if you do not have your Medicaid card). You do not have to be a member of all three to be prequalified to receive WIC.
- Bring any children for whom you are applying.
Contact the NSHC WIC Office:
Postal Mail: NSHC WIC Office // PO Box 966 // Nome, AK 99762
WIC Office Hours:
8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday
Located at Norton Sound Regional Hospital on the far east end on the first floor, near QCC