FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 12, 2021
Contact: Sarah Richards, Public Relations Specialist
Phone: (907) 443-4591
Norton Sound Health Corporation identified 11 positive cases on Wednesday, August 11, and one positive case early Thursday morning, August 12, bringing the total number of active cases in the region to 133.
All cases identified on Wednesday were of Stebbins residents in relation to the ongoing outbreak. Patients have been notified and instructed to safely isolate. The community of Stebbins will remain in a lockdown until there are no new cases identified in the village for 14 days.
The other positive case was identified in a resident of Nome. The patient is an NSHC employee, and NSHC has notified all close contacts to the employee. This case is considered to be travel-related.
Of regionwide active cases, three are in Nome, one is in Unalakleet, one is in White Mountain, 116 are in Stebbins, and 12 are in communities that will remain unidentified. Village leadership in all communities with active cases has been contacted.
NSHC urges people to continue to stay home if they feel ill and to contact their local clinic to get tested. Statewide, the COVID-19 alert status is high. NSHC recommends masking up in indoor public spaces, regardless of vaccination status, per federal guidelines.
If you are unvaccinated, the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Everyone in the region who is 12 years and older is eligible for COVID-19 vaccination. In a village, residents may contact their local clinic to arrange a vaccination. In Nome, vaccinations are available at the following places and times:
- Wellness Bus at Day Shelter Entrance: vaccines are available every Tuesday from 9:30 – 10 a.m.
• Nome NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at picktime.com/NSHC.
• Nome Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
• Nome Post Office: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available every Wednesday from 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Wellness Bus at AC: vaccines are available every Wednesday from 8:30 – 11 a.m.
NSHC strongly encourages everyone in the region to contact their local clinic to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible.