FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 24, 2021
Contact: Alexis Erikson, Public Relations Specialist
Phone: (907) 443-8918
Eight COVID-19 Cases Identified in Region
Nome, Alaska – Norton Sound Health Corporation identified eight COVID-19 cases on Monday, August 23. Of the new cases, two are in Nome and six are in Stebbins. All patients are safely isolating, and close contacts have been notified.
There are now 125 active COVID-19 cases in the region; 89 are in Stebbins, 26 are in St. Michael, five are in Nome, two are in Gambell, one is in Unalakleet, one is in Savoonga, and one is in Shishmaref.
This week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration fully approved the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for those aged 16 and older. Moderna has also applied to the FDA for full approval, and Johnson & Johnson said it hopes to apply for full approval for its vaccine later this year.
NSHC strongly encourages everyone in the region to contact their local clinic to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. All COVID-19 vaccines are available in every community.
In Nome, vaccinations are available at the following places and times:
• Wellness Bus at Day Shelter Entrance: vaccines are available every Tuesday from 9:30 – 10 a.m.
• Nome NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at picktime.com/NSHC.
• Nome Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
• Nome Post Office: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available every Wednesday from 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Wellness Bus at AC: vaccines are available every Wednesday from 8:30 – 11 a.m.