FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nome, Alaska – Norton Sound Health Corporation identified a new case of COVID-19 in a resident of Nome on Monday, March 22. The patient is safely isolating, and any close contacts will be notified. The case is considered to be community spread.
This new case puts the region at five active, community-spread cases, all located in Nome.
As the region continues to work toward the goal of herd immunity, at which NSHC has set a target for 80% vaccinated, people should hang on to recommended safety precautions. Large group gatherings are still not recommended, and masks should be worn in any gatherings where there may be people who have not been vaccinated yet.
NSHC has made COVID-19 vaccines available to everyone in the region 16 years and older.
Village residents may contact their local clinic to be placed on a local wait list for the following vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson. The Pfizer vaccine is the only vaccine approved for children 16-18 years old. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are each two doses, which are spread out by several weeks. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is a single-dose vaccine.
In Nome, people can go to https://tinyurl.com/nomevaccinewaitlist to get on the wait list for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The Nome Pharmacy has walk-in Pfizer vaccinations available from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m., or people can sign up for a Pfizer vaccination appointment at www.picktime.com/NSHC, which would give them priority at the Pharmacy.
There is just over a week left in NSHC’s COVID-19 Vaccination Prize Drawing. Any regional resident who has received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine is eligible to enter the drawing. To do so, entrants must complete a short questionnaire in one of the following ways:
- Fill out the online form at https://bit.ly/3tpzQKa
- Text VACCINE to 833-413-0568
- Pick up a copy at your local clinic and ask a staff member to scan and send it to
The questionnaire must be completed by March 31, 2021. The drawing will take place on April 1, and prizes include:
- 1st Grand Prize: Four round-trip tickets anywhere in the U.S. on Alaska Airlines and $3,000 cash
- 2nd Grand Prize: $8,000 (+ shipping cost) toward four wheeler/ATV of choice purchased in region
- $500 toward groceries at local store – 16 prizes (one in each community)
- $500 fuel voucher – 16 prizes (one in each community)
- 10% of survey respondents will receive $100 – drawn weekly
So far, NSHC has awarded about 300 prizes of $100 in its weekly drawings of 10% of survey respondents. NSHC also awarded 150 whole frozen turkeys in a special prize announcement.
Anyone who has not been vaccinated yet can get one dose before March 31 and still enter the drawing.