FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 3, 2021
Contact: Alexis Erikson, Public Relations Specialist
Phone: (907) 443-8918
Positive COVID-19 Cases on the Rise in Region
Nome, Alaska – On August 2, Norton Sound Health Corporation identified an additional 18 new COVID-19 cases in Stebbins.
There are currently 38 active COVID-19 case in the region; five are in Nome, 31 are in Stebbins, and two are in regional villages but have requested that their village not be identified in this press release. Leadership and residents in the involved villages have been made fully aware.
Stebbins is currently under a community lockdown, until there are no new cases identified for 14 days. Stebbins experienced a COVID-19 outbreak last fall, which took nearly two months to recover from. The residents there know what it takes to overcome an outbreak, and now everyone 12 years and older has the added benefit of accessibility to COVID-19 vaccines.
All Stebbins residents ages 12 and older who are not vaccinated against Covid-19 are advised to immediately go to the clinic for a their first Covid vaccination.
During Stebbins’ lockdown, per the Stebbins Community Association, there is to be no visiting between households or other communities, and everyone should wear a mask in public indoor spaces. There is a 10-person limit at the store, and a five-person limit at the laundromat. There will be no bingo during this time, and there is a curfew of 10 p.m.
If you are unvaccinated, the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Everyone in the region who is 12 years and older is eligible for COVID-19 vaccination. In a village, residents may contact their local clinic to arrange a vaccination. In Nome, vaccinations are available at the following places and times:
• Wellness Bus at Day Shelter Entrance: vaccines are available every Tuesday from 9:30 – 10 a.m.
• Nome NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at picktime.com/NSHC.
• Nome Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
• Nome Post Office: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available every Wednesday from 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Wellness Bus at AC: vaccines are available every Wednesday from 8:30 – 11 a.m.