FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 19, 2021
Contact: Alexis Erikson, Public Relations Specialist
Phone: (907) 443-8918
Regional COVID-19 Cases Continue to Climb
Nome, Alaska –Norton Sound Health Corporation identified 34 COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, August 18. Of the new cases, one is in Nome, 10 are in St. Michael, and 23 are in Stebbins. All patients are safely isolating, and close contacts have been notified.
There are now 198 active COVID-19 cases in the region; 146 are in Stebbins, 37 are in St. Michael, eight are in Nome, two are in Savoonga, two are in Unalakleet, one is in Gambell, and two are in communities that will remain unidentified. Village leadership in all communities with active cases has been contacted.
The communities of Stebbins and St. Michael will remain in a lockdown until there are no new cases identified in the villages for 14 days.
In the U.S., nearly all the cases of severe illness, hospitalization, and death continue to occur among those not yet vaccinated against COVID-19. NSHC strongly encourages everyone in the region to contact their local clinic to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible.
In Nome, vaccinations are available at the following places and times:
• Wellness Bus at Day Shelter Entrance: vaccines are available every Tuesday from 9:30 – 10 a.m.
• Nome NSHC Pharmacy: walk in Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m. Appointments are available Monday-Saturday at picktime.com/NSHC.
• Nome Airport: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are offered to all incoming passengers 12 years and older.
• Nome Post Office: Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are available every Wednesday from 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Wellness Bus at AC: vaccines are available every Wednesday from 8:30 – 11 a.m.