Native Village of Elim, Contact
Most indigenous speakers speak a Norton Sound Yup’ik dialect. Subsistence activities revolve around caribou hunting and fishing.
This settlement was formerly the NS Yupik Inupiat Eskimo village of Nuviakchak. The Native culture was well-developed and well-adapted to the environment. Each tribe possessed a well-defined subsistence harvest territory. The area became a federal reindeer reserve in 1911. In 1914, Rev. L.E. Ost founded a Covenant mission and school, called Elim Mission Roadhouse. The city was incorporated in 1970. When the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) was passed in 1971, Elim decided not to participate and instead opted for title to the 298,000 acres of land in the former Elim Reserve. The Iditarod Sled Dog Race passes through Elim each year.