Chinik Eskimo Community, Contact
Golovin is an Inupiat Eskimo village with a fishing, herding, and subsistence lifestyle.
The Eskimo village of “Chinik,” located at the present site of Golovin, was originally settled by the Kauweramiut Eskimos who later mixed with the Unaligmiut Eskimos. Golovin was named for Captain Vasili Golovnin of the Russian Navy. In 1887, the Mission Covenant of Sweden established a church and school south of the current site. Around 1890, John Dexter established a trading post that became the center for prospecting information for the entire Seward Peninsula. When gold was discovered in 1898 at Council, Golovin became a supply point for the gold fields. Supplies were shipped from Golovin across Golovnin Lagoon and up the Fish and Niukluk Rivers to Council. A post office was opened in 1899. Reindeer herding was an integral part of the missions in the area in the 1900s. The city was incorporated in 1971.