Native Village of White Mountain, Contact
White Mountain’s indigenous language is Inupiaq. Subsistence activities are still very prevalent, especially fishing.
The Inupiat fish camp of “Nutchirviq” was located here. The bountiful resources of both the Fish and Niukluk Rivers supported the area’s Native populations. White Mountain grew after the influx of prospectors during the gold rush of 1900. The first structure was a warehouse built by miner Charles Lane to store supplies for his claim in the Council District. It was the site of a government-subsidized orphanage, which became an industrial school in 1926. A post office was opened in 1932. The city government was incorporated in 1969.